- Start Here
- About MWC
- Sponsor/ Partner
- See & Do
- Industry Segments & Trends
- App Planet
- Global Mobile Awards
- 4 Years From Now
- Don’t Miss
- GSMA Seminars
- Industry News
- Partner Programmes
- AirWatch by VMware
- AllSeen Alliance
- ESL Arena
- Gamelab Mobile
- Good Technology
- Interactive Advertising Bureau (IAB)
- Juniper Networks
- LTE Forum
- McCann Worldgroup
- Mobile Access = Engagement = Revenues
- Mobile Media Summit
- Mobile Security Forum presented by AVG
- NAB Show Collaborative
- Power Hours
- Schneider Electric
- Taiwan Excellence
- Training Programmes
- GSMA Programmes
Mobile World Congress is the world’s largest annual gathering of mobile and related industry C-Level executives. If anything is happening in mobile, it can be found at MWC. Learn more about the organisations behind the event and check out highlights of our best-ever 2014 event.
Carbon Neutral Initiatives
Carbon Neutral Initiatives
MWC CERTIFIED AS THE WORLD’S LARGEST CARBON NEUTRAL TRADE SHOWSince 2008, the GSMA has been committed to reducing the impact of its events on the environment, both in our offices and at our events. In particular, Mobile World Congress focuses heavily on reducing waste in printed materials, encouraging the re-use and recycling of materials at the venue, utilising digital signage and electronic tools, and working with Fira Barcelona, exhibitors and local partners to minimise the impact our event has on the environment. The objectives of our Carbon Neutrality programme are simple:
- We will contribute to the preservation of the environment by reducing our emissions and waste
- We will educate our attendees about our goals and encourage them to be green along with us
- We will continually identify new and additional opportunities to reduce our event’s environmental impact
- Continue to work actively with our suppliers and products wherever possible to minimise our impact on the environment
WHAT WE’VE DONEYou will probably see signs of our Carbon Neutral programme around the venue; food outlets offer recycled and compostable service items, all event publications are presented on recycled paper, and event bags and badge lanyards are made from recycled plastic bottles. But we’ve made other efforts that might not be immediately visible:
- Our Media Centre is entirely paper-free; all materials for the press are presented electronically
- Improved event technology (the My MWC mobile app, digital signage and our Tap-n-Go Points) means we are able to print fewer exhibition catalogues and maps
- The GSMA Stand is entirely paper free
- We reuse or recycle all hall and walkway carpeting after the event into Solid Recovered Fuel. This reduces our carbon emissions by 240 tonnes of CO2, equivalent to enough carbon to power 6,850 TVs two hours a day for a full year.
- We have created a Green Stand Award Programme to encourage exhibitors to build environmentally responsible stands. More details can be found here.
What You Can DoThere are many ways you can be ‘green’ at the event. Besides the obvious (taking advantage of recycle bins throughout the venue), we encourage attendees to do the following:
- Download the My MWC Event app to take advantage of our digital mapping tools and exhibitor listings.
- Take public transportation using the free Transport Pass distributed at Registration. FGC trains and the Metro often move faster than the taxis, and fewer cars on the roads help to reduce air pollution in Barcelona.
- Use the solar charging points to wirelessly charge your devices in the lower level Networking Gardens.